Monday, September 28, 2009

Debut

It started like this:

Ever since I was six years old, I have been one of those people with an odd infatuation with France.

I am sure you have met at least one before. Like girls that have an obsession with dance or horses, these people decorate their notebooks with meticulously drawn Eiffel Towers. They pepper their everyday speech with French words, not unlike Miss Piggy. Who sample the small fraction of France’s 300+ cheeses available at Yokes Fresh Market. Who against all reason, all practicality, take high school French classes so that they can order crepes at the mall with the correct accent, which, incidentally, sounds somewhat like flattened “crap.”

And so, as I entered what is technically my senior year at Central Washington University, I jumped at the chance to spend a semester in France.

Here I am in Caen, France, a place I had no idea existed before this little adventure (It’s in Normandy, near the English Channel, to save you the trip to Google Maps). Endless paperwork, a trip to San Francisco, a few nervous breakdowns, and unrelenting parental support have gotten me here.

Now that I am here, living the dream, what am I going to do? Well, I am going to do what any self respecting Journalism Major would do. I’m going to blog about it.

1 comment:

  1. Channelle,
    This is the first blog I've ever read. I recently saw the movie "Julie and Julia" and her blog set her on her way to a writing career, so I hope yours does the same for you (if that is your wish). I am a closet francophile, so will enjoy reading about your adventure.
    Renée

    ReplyDelete